Monday, November 22, 2010

My Solution to a Bad Design

I have the exact same clothes rack that I purchased from Walmart at the beginning of the semester. After first putting it together, I realized the sleight unbalanced form it was in. The base seemed to stay together, but the upper half of the bars swayed to the left and continued to lean more every passing week. Eventually I wrapped a duffel bag strap around it and secured it to my desk. It was only until a couple of weeks ago that I attached a middle aluminum bar that connects the two side bars together. By adding this second bar I was able to stabilize the clothes rack and to add more space in which to put hangers. The initial design of this clothes rack was bad because I don't believe it was stable enough to last a long usage period. The price spent on the clothes rack was low, but it seems that such a simple design of aluminum bars and a plastic base should withstand a minimum amount of hangers.