Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Own Design

During high school I worked with wood and constructed what we called a battle bot. Since that time I've tried to adapt to better designs and material that weren't so make shift or not durable. I find that working with certain types of wood is very good because they are forgiving and fairly cheap when purchased at a larger size. Over the fall break I started designing a drum set hardware replacement for my tom holders. I don't have the money to purchase a $1500 metal hardware set to perfectly position my toms. Instead I plan on attempting to construct an initial skeleton structure out of the wood, and incorporating my own previous drum hardware into the design. So far, my chosen support system is combining rubber bands with hooks as the spring system. I learned this from a music DJ that uses multiple turn tables and needs to have a motion ready support system to have no effect from the bass. I'm not sure how well my experience with wood and construction will help in building this setup but I hope all goes well. A simple design of the product I'm hoping to copy is shown above.